PCESAR members usually join by attending an informational orientation in the fall, then completing our training program throughout the winter months.
- Orientation Calendar
- Not able to attend an orientation? Download the Orientation Slideshow (PDF).
- Training information
How to Join
- Attend an orientation (optional)
- Complete the pre-requisite NIMS courses (details below)
- Check the calendar to ensure you are available for Course 1, first aid, 2, 3, and 4. Each course (except Course 4) is offered twice; you must attend only one of the two weekends.
- Attend Course 1. No RSVP is required, although you can give us your contact details if you want a reminder.
- Course 1 is held at Camp Lakeview, 32919 Benbow Dr E, Graham, WA
- Usually held the first and third weekend in November
Pre-Requisite National Incident Management Systems (NIMS) Courses
Before you can join search and rescue you need to take three online FEMA courses and their open-book tests. All emergency workers in the nation are required to do these tests before they can be firefighters, police, sheriffs deputies, or be affiliated with any SAR group or other emergency responders. The registration process cannot proceed until these courses have been taken and completed. The required tests are:
- NIMS IS700.a
- NIMS IS100.b
- NIMS IS200.b
Take the courses here: http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.aspx
This link will bring up a page for the Emergency Management Institute –FEMA Independent Study Program.
- Scroll down to IS-700.a, National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction and click on it.
- On the right will be a link “Interactive Web Based Course”. Click that link and complete the course.
- Below the course materials link you will find “Take Final Exam.” When you’re ready, click this link to begin the exam.
- After completing the exam, save your certificate and bring it to Course 1 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Repeat these steps for each of the three required courses.
What to bring to Course 1
- Warm clothing appropriate for the day’s weather. Some portions of the course are outdoors.
- $105 training fee. This covers course materials, training manual, and a compass (accurate to 2 degrees with sighting mirror).
- Certificates of completion for NIMS IS700.a, NIMS IS100.b, and NIMS IS200.b.
- Be prepared to have your photo taken for an ID badge.
- Parents of youth will need to stay for the first couple hours Saturday morning to complete paperwork and learn about required equipment.
ESAR Membership and Training Information Mailing List
Sign up for emails about joining ESAR and upcoming training.